A Writer’s Quest for Sleep

 

Elusive Sleep

The Elusive Dream of Sleep

The writing worries of authorship can wreak havoc on sleep. I remember a time when I slept like a rock. Falling asleep was never my problem. Staying asleep, well, that’s a whole ‘nother matter nowadays.

When we were younger, there was very little to worry about. We took naps all the time. Although this was maybe the effect of expending too much energy and sugar, still, it was something we did. However, sugar aside, sleep was something that just happened. No thought. No angst about it. Just sleep.

Slumber these days has become an elusive son of a gun. I could wax semi-poetic here and say something clever, like “elusive as a scurrying cockroach” or some such, but I ain’t gonna. Some days I walk by my bed and dread lying down at night to find sleep. I don’t call it a “bed” anymore. I call it “that damn thing.” Sometimes I sleep better elsewhere, like the couch or chair, than in that damn thing.

The idea of fighting wakefulness is an activity not made for lying in bed—if you know what I mean. I hope that makes sense.

That elusive dream of sleep. In other words, the thought or idea of slumber is never far from my mind, let me tell ya. Oh no! It’s so bad that I have dreams of sleeping when I do sleep! The nightmarish vision of dreaming you’re asleep brings images of Saint Peter and the Pearly Gates. I don’t know about you, but I’m not too keen on visiting those gates any time soon. Thank you very much.

Im starting to believe that blessed, peaceful sleep is an elusive dream and a thing of the past.

Getting older brings on aches and pains we didn’t have before. We have worries that keep us tossing and turning at night. Did I mention writing? Heck, there is a whole industry of sleep aids, pillows, mattresses, and supplements designed to help with this issue. Television commercials are full of suggestions begging you to try something new, like a cuddle buddy pillow or one shaped like an angel wing for neck support. 

So, I don’t think it’s my imagination that there is a problem with sleep these days?

I’ve been asked, ever tried meditation? Yes. Scary. Sorry to say, but I thought I’d conjured something back from the dead. Ever tried medication? Yes. Didn’t do a thing for me. Ever tried warm milk? Yes. But without chocolate in it, I don’t understand the point. Ever try exhausting yourself with an aerobic workout during the day so you can sleep better at night? Yes. Did I mention aches and pains? Ever tried lowering the thermostat to 67 degrees or less? Yes. Nearly froze to death! Ever tried reading a book? Yes. My own is not exactly sleep-inducing. Ever tried ASMR? Wait. What?

Some of these are comical, and most make sense to others. They just don’t seem to work for me. So what to do.

Well, for one thing, I’ll stop cursing my bed. It’s not the bed’s fault I can’t find sleep. The other thing is to stop looking for sleep. I think it might be better to let sleep find me. Relax as much as possible, and accept the process when it comes. Then nestle in the beautiful slumber that sleep can bring.

Here’s hoping for the best. 

~DaMarie 


Photo Courtesy of Mpho Mojapelo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Subscribe, or leave a Comment for this post. When leaving your comment, please write your FIRST name only within the comment (e.g. [your first name], I love this photo). It is against our blogging policy to include LAST names. Make sure your Email/URL is listed next to "Comment as". Then click the "Publish" button. We ask that you please follow this format. Thank you.