Writing World

 

Writing World


Writing World

Writers develop a narrative that takes the reader through the uncharted territory of the authors imagination, where thoughts and dreams are brought to reality when written on the page. Writing is a lonely business and a prospect that is hard to embrace. In this state of solitude, writing can also bring about all manner of insecurities, doubt, and isolation. In today’s climate, ideas do not flow as freely as they should. The creative process is hindered by concerns that shouldn’t be, such as censorship and the like.

To combat this, one of the many things I like to do is embrace the process and immerse myself in the story and the message I want to convey. I try not to worry about the many constraints placed on the process, likes, and dislikes, and concentrate on the authenticity of the whole. What I mean by “the whole” is the writing process itself, starting at the beginning and imagining the end result once completed.

Taking an idea or premise of a story, and seeing it to its conclusion, is a wonderful feeling; constraints should not get in the way of expression.

To prepare mentally for the task, I make sure there is a quiet place to dwell while working. Sitting in my study, surrounded by books, journals, and reference materials, I am reminded of the job at hand. A quiet water feature gurgles and serves as background music for the day. A cup of hazelnut-flavored coffee never fails to wipe the cobwebs of sleep from my mind.

Then it’s go time.

I also set a time to get up and stretch, go for a walk, or call a friend. It breaks up the monotony of sitting for so long. Tea in the afternoon is also a welcome change and something to look forward to as the day progresses.

For me, distractions are only there to provide inspiration. A knock on the door from a girl selling cookies reminds me of a time and place long ago when I did the same. I ask myself, what is her life like, what will she become, what obstacles will she need to overcome, and my imagination takes off—just like that.

I’ve heard that stage actors, like all creatives such as writers, painters, and poets, have lives that are always full of drama. Chaos constantly reigns, and they’re never satisfied with the mundane. They need that kind of “fuel” to feed the creative process. How else will they draw upon the muse to create and inspire?

Well, I don’t know about all that.

What I do know is that peace brings about introspection, and for me, that is where creativity lies. Going about life through the day-to-day is enough to inspire most of us. As lonely as the writing profession is, I’ll take it any day over chaos. Trust me. In the lone introspection of writing, there's no other place I'd rather be. 

I guess I wouldn’t have it any other way. 


~DaMarie


Photo Courtesy of Yannick Pulver


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Subscribe, or leave a Comment for this post. When leaving your comment, please write your FIRST name only within the comment (e.g. [your first name], I love this photo). It is against our blogging policy to include LAST names. Make sure your Email/URL is listed next to "Comment as". Then click the "Publish" button. We ask that you please follow this format. Thank you.