The Trials of Perseverance

 


Trials and Tribulation

The Will to Persevere

The will to persevere is intrinsic to our need for survival. Not only that, it can be daunting to face but necessary when called upon. Recently, I was struck by an article in the latest issue of the magazine Magnolia Journal*. If you don’t know, the journal is issued by Joanna and Chip Gaines, the design duo of HGTV’s show Fixer-Upper. They have amassed quite a following from this show which has served as a springboard to launch other business ventures. They also seem to be people who give back, so needless to say, I am a big fan. 

 

I saw this magazine on one of my occasional shopping trips and was struck by the title and the magazine cover. For me, the photo spoke volumes. It was intriguing to see Joanna alone in the attic of a home bare of any artifice. Just her standing on bare wood surrounded by walls stripped down to the studs. One could say it’s a depiction of failure. There are no tools in her hands or anywhere near as she stands in the middle of the floor to look at the side walls with the sun streaming in behind her. But wait, there’s more here than meets the eye. To me, it’s a look of defiance and strength that says failure doesn’t define me (us). It shouldn’t. My reaction was visceral. I viewed this photo as a metaphor to illustrate that, when stripped bare, this is our chance at rebirth. To start anew and tackle with gusto what is to come. 

 

The title, “The Fortitude We Gain Along the Way,” and the articles within struck a cord in me because it coincidentally aligns with the theme of this month’s post. So forgive me as I shamelessly plug this magazine and the fantastic articles within, while touching on similar topics of perseverance in the face of trials and tribulations. 

 

We can all count on our fingers and toes, the number of times we’ve had to face an issue that tested our resolve to persevere. We all go through experiences we think only happen to us, are only traumatic to us, and affect only us. Getting kicked in the shins, again and again, can cause the creative spirit to shut down or cause the will to keep going fruitless. We ask ourselves how many hills do we have to climb and how many rivers to cross before we make it. Life throws us many curveballs, but to have the fortitude to preserve is the measure of our true strength. I’ve been hit by a few of these so-called balls, and most recently, by one that set me back on my heels and caused me to think about how to move forward. 

 

In short, how to keep writing. 

 

In my case, for a proverbial minute, I didn’t want to write anymore and asked myself, whats the point? For several reasons, I was filled with doubt about my ability to create and even lacked the will to share the work itself. “How can I possibly,” I asked. There were many questions like these, but most astonishingly, about how I viewed the world from my perspective? The self-doubt was excruciatingly painful. And that’s only a small portion of why it hurt my spirit so badly. First came the self-doubt, then fear, and lastly, the will to persevere. I’m told many writers go through this at one point in their careers, be it writer’s block, rejection, or other concerns, but my struggle came on early. 

 

Do I have what it takes to go on

 

But, thankfully, it was just a moment in time that didn’t last. That pity party came and went faster than expected, thank goodness. If the goal was to prevent me from succeeding, it didn’t work. By succeeding, I mean to keep doing what I love. To keep creating and being a creative person. To realize that not everyone will like what I write, how I write, or when I write. What I draw, when I draw, what I paint, what I sew or design, what I sing, how I sing, what lyrics I write, or what words of rhyme are placed together as a collection of thought that I put to a verse in a poem, etcetera.   

 

The point is to keep at it. 

 

College art students are reminded that the resulting work produced by the creative process is subjectively appreciated when viewed by others. That “success” is a game of chance. Not everyone will like, love, or even understand the creation. “Tell me about it” will be a common request, so be ready for it. Loving what you do is what matters, and if someone likes, loves, or appreciates what you’ve created - well, that’s gravy. Likewise, we can apply this philosophy to almost anything we do in our lifes work. Some parents teach their children to work at something they love or are passionate about. “Don’t worry about the money,” they say, “that will come later. As long as you love what you’re doing, it’s what gets you out of bed each morning.” How we triumph through the rough patches and gain strength from bad experiences is what propels us into the many tomorrows to come. We don’t, won’t, or can’t give up. In my poem titled “What It Takes,” it, too, speaks about having the fortitude to persevere. To read it, click here

 

So, what about you? 

 

This post is for anyone who has lost the drive to succeed or lacks the courage to try. This is for those of us who doubt ourselves and our abilities. If anyone feels stuck or lacks the will to persevere, my advice is, don’t give up. To hell with what others think or will try that might cause you to doubt yourself. All creatives and achievers strive to put their all into their work and hope it speaks to someone. If you are passionate about what you do and love, regardless of the cost, any commercial success is only gravy, thick or thin, bitter or just right. 

 

It’s all a game of chance, anyway. 

 

As Joanna writes, and I paraphrase, “the weight of the word fortitude seems heavy.” Yes, and so does the word perseverance. The gains we make when we see something through are tremendous achievements. Like the bare walls of our souls, we can build strength through perseverance and realize something beautiful—ourselves.

~ DaMarie


Photo Courtesy of Brett Jordan

 

*Disclaimer: The reference to Magnolia Journal is used under Fair Use guidelines. Magnolia Journal is a quarterly magazine edited by Joanna Gaines and Chip Gaines. This post references the fall 2022 journal, issue number 24/fortitude, titled “The Fortitude We Gain Along The Way.” Paraphrasing comes from “A Letter from the Editor” by Joanna Gaines, Magnolia Journal, page 12. This journal and other articles undergird the inspiration for the theme of my October 2022 blog posts. For more information, you can visit Magnolia.com/journal or follow Joanna on Instagram @joannagaines.




2 comments:

  1. So proud you continue to persevere

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you persevere magnificently.

    ReplyDelete

Please Subscribe, or leave a Comment for this post. When leaving your comment, please write your FIRST name only within the comment (e.g. [your first name], I love this photo). It is against our blogging policy to include LAST names. Make sure your Email/URL is listed next to "Comment as". Then click the "Publish" button. We ask that you please follow this format. Thank you.