A Personal Lament

 

Communication

How do you communicate?

Better yet, how do you express yourself? There are many forms of communication these days. How you express your feelings, your beliefs, etc., is key to effective communication regardless of the form it takes.

Expression can come about in many ways whether through emphatic means or gentle coaxing. It can be soft or hard, crude or passive. It can also be performative or creative using any manner of art form. For example, I like to express myself in written words, whether they speak truth or disguised in a work of fiction. I admit that there is a measure of fun in trying to express my thoughts in a way that isn’t offensive but indirect in meaning — or direct if the need calls.

As long as the outcome is the effect I’m trying to achieve, I feel successful in the delivery. Be it feelings of joy, sadness, reflection, or prompting someone to ponder, I’m satisfied. What I don’t like is having my words misconstrued or conflated in such a way that can be detrimental to me and/or the reader.

In expressing myself verbally or through writing, I’ve never tried to lean on one “side” or another politically. So, it was interesting to discover that this had been applied to me recently. Speaking the truth comes with challenges, especially today, and I don’t really care how anyone perceives my political leanings. What I do care about is character misalignment that can harm my relationship with others down the road based on those perceptions.

Communication can be lined with a minefield of pitfalls if not done effectively. I can understand why some would think one way or another about my political affiliation. It’s a part of the craft of blogging, and I get that. Actually, it’s no one’s business but my own as to which “side” I’m on. But, suffice it to say - I’m on my side, America’s side. I don’t care who the president is as long as he/she loves America and its people and whose policies are sound.

That’s it. Simple.

Social media has made it easy to peek behind the curtain. Now, we can see the moral failings and inadequacies of some of our leaders whom we have, heretofore, been blind to. No one knew about John Kennedy’s philandering, ailments, or Theodore Roosevelt’s disability, for that matter. Teddy Roosevelt didn’t give a damn about hurting your feelings and “bully” for him. I could go on, but they were all good presidents whose policies were sound, and we were better off for them, including Bill Clinton. We are human and full of frailty, after all, and that includes myself.

That last paragraph can be viewed or perceived as full of pejoratives. It’s not meant to be inflammatory but to point out the truth as I understand it and as history writes it. What I care about is the message it imparts. As long as it isn't malicious, effective communication and the ability to express oneself should continue without fear of offending or being harshly criticized on a personal basis. Or picking a “side.” This is not a physical sport. It’s writing a blog, and that mental exercise is something I enjoy very much.

So, I will continue to express myself in ways that are insightful, thoughtful, helpful, and even fun. If someone wants to label me as being on one side of the political aisle or another, I suppose that’s their prerogative. And, if it causes some to ostracize me because of that perception, well, now, that only hurts them.

I’m still me.

~ DaMarie


Photo Courtesy of Quino Al



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Subscribe, or leave a Comment for this post. When leaving your comment, please write your FIRST name only within the comment (e.g. [your first name], I love this photo). It is against our blogging policy to include LAST names. Make sure your Email/URL is listed next to "Comment as". Then click the "Publish" button. We ask that you please follow this format. Thank you.