An Unconventional Metaphor

 

Differences

My House

An Unconventional Metaphor

 

I love my house.

I like the different rooms and the cohesive way one room flows into the other. I like the different kinds of furniture and how they are placed inside each area and room. I love the way the light plays off one wall that, in turn, illuminates the opposite walls, which showcase their beauty depending on the time of day. I can mark the time by the placement of this light, which brings me joy. I love the different types of frames that frame my artwork and photos of those I love, particularly those who have meant a lot to me and passed on. I like the vaulted ceilings that hover at the perfect height above my head and carry sound so perfectly. I love the way it protects me and makes me feel safe. I like the feel of each room and the different energy each one brings to my spirit. The setup done intentionally for that particular purpose is pure bliss.

My bathroom is an oasis of peace and full of different fragrances that calm my soul and ease my mind. My study is full of books by various authors, fiction and non-fiction, and informational resources. They mark my time in life and my travels, too, all different cultures and memories that are simply wonderful. The exercise equipment is well-used and stands as sentinels to remind me of my commitment to getting and staying healthy. I would change nothing to make anything in my house the same.

The different colors, textures, and lights make my house a home. Different types of food in the fridge, different types of jewelry, clothing, and fabrics; it’s all good. Outside, my garden is blooming with various flowers and herbs that give off a lovely fragrance when in full bloom. I love to sit outside and watch the different types of birds that chirp and visit from time to time to eat the bird seeds I’ve put out for them. I love watching the different trees move and sway with the wind and feeling the soft breeze on my face. It is relaxing to be surrounded by so many different things that bring joy to my sense of being. 

Differences.

I wonder how many notice the number of times I mentioned the word ‘different’? Not many, I would guess, and maybe that’s okay. It’s the differences that give us variety in life. It’s the differences that make life interesting. It’s cliché to say life would be boring without differences, but I want to put it out there to make a point, as subtle as it is. Our differences make us unique. And it is those differences that create harmony– if that makes sense. Our differences make us curious, which helps us learn more about each other, life, and different ideas. We need each other to bring enrichment to our inner houses.

I hope we aren’t missing this fact.

My house is distinctly different from the others, and I like it; it’s not cookie-cutter. That may not be okay for some; who am I to judge. But, just like me, it’s different. My neighbors are as diverse as the shoes in my closet, and I like that, too. Not that I’m equating people with shoes, but I think you get the point. In fact, I love this aspect of my neighborhood, which is why I live here.

I wouldn’t like someone pointing out all the differences in my house, admonishing me for not wanting the same color scheme, photo frames, type of food, etcetera, ad infinitum. That would make me feel bad and wonder what was wrong with me that I couldn’t embrace sameness. The pull to be like everyone else is sometimes too great to ignore! Before long, after changing everything to sameness, I would be miserable, not to mention physically unhealthy, leading me to question my mental health – believe me, and more than a little pissed at myself. I would resent the person for shaming me into redoing my home, not to mention the expense of doing such a thing! I’d work like hell to change it back; an expensive lesson, to be sure, but one I highlight here as a not-so-subtle point in social interaction.  

Differences.

Let’s celebrate it. Let’s live it and embrace it fully. Not long ago, we did this subconsciously, and all was relatively fine. To hear someone talk about our differences on a daily basis is annoying. ‘Yes, I know we’re different. So what!? Now leave us alone… please.’ In fact, some of us might want to say this in not-so-gentle terms.

I love being different—the Ying and Yang of balance. I love diversity and all the rest of it, and it works perfectly together in my house and everyday life; thank you very much.

I love my house.

FYI: The number of times the word ‘different’ is mentioned = Who cares?

 

~DaMarie


Photo Courtesy of Brian Ritchie


6 comments:

  1. If this was on Instagram ,I would give a ❤. Yet if on YouTube I would like 👍. This would certainly inspire many comments. I like this blog. Could these different rooms be mine? I love my home and from your words I love your home too.💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sabrina, thank you! So very nice of you to say. I'm glad you like the blog so keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting and just a little cryptic! I would love to talk to you more about it. Lovely writing as always.your pieces are always engaging!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Yes there is a lot of meaning embedded in this post. But I think you get the point. Let's chat!

      Delete
  4. Very interesting and intriguing! I love how you describe your house. And lovely writing as always. Wondering what you mean by people admonishing you to have the same food, same photo frames... I understand this is a metaphor - are you feeling pressure to confirm to some kind of thinking or ideal? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Ha., no I'm not feeling pressure in any way, far be it. This was written for those who do feel a need to 'conform' or to speak out in hate against others not like them. There is a lot to take away from this post and I'm glad to see the comments come through. I'm glad to see the comments are working again. YEA! Thank you for taking the time to do so. It helps the blog in many ways.

      Delete

Please Subscribe, or leave a Comment for this post. When leaving your comment, please write your FIRST name only within the comment (e.g. [your first name], I love this photo). It is against our blogging policy to include LAST names. Make sure your Email/URL is listed next to "Comment as". Then click the "Publish" button. We ask that you please follow this format. Thank you.