The Heir

 

American Flag Poem


The Heir
 

I am the heir of courageous men

Who decided to fight for a country to call their

Own.

 

I am the heir of hopeful and broken people

Who decided to stay in a country not their

Own.

 

I am the heir of brothers who fought each other

Who decided their country belonged to them and not the other to

Own.

 

I am the heir of heroes who fought in countless battles

Who decided our sovereignty should be protected and entirely our

Own.

 

I am the heir of righteous men and women marching

Who decided that justice and rights should be equal and fair for their

Own.

 

I am the heir of healing mothers

Who decided that wrongs could be righted and hearts uplifted for their

Own.

 

I am the heir of the air I breathe in this country

Who decided to recognize that all I am, I owe through heritage I call my very

Own.

 

I am the heir, an American, a person from a land of imperfections

Who has decided a loud and proud voice can cite exceptional triumphs.

Who will not be silenced.

Whose words will not be suppressed.

Whose religious beliefs will not be scoffed.

Who will stand for justice when injustice is rife.

Who will fight with sweat and blood for the soul of a nation,

In pursuit of the sweet, sweet bounty that freedom has brought,

For the price of liberty is too high a price to pay,

If we lose the country, I am proud to call my

Own.

 

I Am Heir.

 

 

~d.lawrence

2/19/21



Photo Courtesy of Aaron Burden


©Copyright 2021 d.lawrence. All Rights Reserved.


2 comments:

Please Subscribe, or leave a Comment for this post. When leaving your comment, please write your FIRST name only within the comment (e.g. [your first name], I love this photo). It is against our blogging policy to include LAST names. Make sure your Email/URL is listed next to "Comment as". Then click the "Publish" button. We ask that you please follow this format. Thank you.